October 15, 2013

Let your own light shine.


                          

Last week we went up to visit Evan's family. We had such a fun trip! It was good to see everyone. We also got to see some of our good friends. The good thing about family and friends is they never go away. They are always there for you. I can go months without seeing them and then just pick up right where we left off. I love it, it's such a good feeling to know they are always there for me.

 Building good relationships with my Family and Friends is so important to me.  Surrounding myself with good happy people is also important to me. It's so true when they say surround yourself with people you want to be like. If you want to be happy, surround yourself with happy people. If you want to be positive, surround yourself with positive people! If you want to be successful surround yourself with successful people. Sometimes, this can also happen in the reverse. If you surround yourself with sad/negative people it will drag you in the direction of being sad and negative. Who wants that?!

The last few months I have been trying to be more cautious of this and throw out all the negative things/influences in my life. The hardest thing has been trying to throw out all the negative thoughts I have about myself. Why is it so hard?! Why are we the hardest on ourselves?

We go from being so confident and positive as a kid, to a not so confident rebelling teenager, to trying to find ourselves again. And do we ever truly "find" ourselves? Not really... I feel it's more of a process in the way we create ourselves, through experiences and decisions we make. Who we are today doesn't always determine who we will be 10 years from now and that's not a bad thing. The other day Evan told me that sometimes he feels stuck not being able to see that far ahead and it stresses him out. It's just all in the process. It's good to have the future in mind but not to the point where it stresses us out. It's our day to day lives the "baby steps" that makes up our future.  We need to allow ourselves to grow on a day to day basis, and try to be a little better today then we were yesterday. But first we have to want it.

“Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, 'Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous?' Actually, who are you not to be? You are a child of God. Your playing small does not serve the world. There is nothing enlightened about shrinking so that other people won't feel insecure around you. We are all meant to shine, as children do. We were born to make manifest the glory of God that is within us. It's not just in some of us; it's in everyone. And as we let our own light shine, we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same. As we are liberated from our own fear, our presence automatically liberates others.” - Marianne Williamson

I like this quote, but the more I read it, the more I realized there are some things I would change and expound on.


1- "It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us" -- My take on this is, most of us are afraid to shine. So much that it stops us from reaching our full potential. We don't fear light itself. We need the light to give us hope and to help us reach our full potential.  

2- "Your playing small does not serve the world" -- I don't think anyone's role in life should be looked as, as "small" everyone's role is important no matter what. 

3- "There is nothing enlightened about shrinking so that other people won't feel insecure around you. We are all meant to shine, as children do". -- Yes I believe we were all meant to shine but not to the point that we belittle those around us. We also need to remember humility and to help those around us to shine as well.

                                                                       

                                                                            xoXox

No comments:

01 09 10