October 19, 2013

Living like the Cosby's

Friday night, 9pm, Babes at the gym and all three kiddies are sleeping. Breathe in and exhale slowly, feel that? that's the feeling of something I have been needing for a while, something that rarely comes my way - ME time!  

I take my "me time" very seriously. I set all destractions aside and try to focus on me and what I want to do in that moment.  Like Stephen R. Covey would say, it's my time to "sharpen the saw."
Tonight's me time consisted of curling up in my bed in one of my babes shirts and favorite sweats, Oreos and milk in one head and my latest book, The Icarus Deception by Seth Godin in the other. 

It's been a good read and I have really been wanting to finish it. So I was excited when I finally had the chance to dive back into it. When it comes to reading, I find myself drawn to self motivating and self improving books. On occasion I'll squeeze in a soppy romantic. But it's very rare.

In the book he talks about a new way at looking at art. I'll share a little part from the book.

                                                                   .............

"Art isn't something that's made by artists. Artists are people who make art. 
Art is not a gene or specific talent. Art is an attitude, culturally driven and available to anyone who chooses to adopt it. Art isn't something sold in a gallery or performed on a stage. Art is the unique work of a human being, work that touches another. Most painters, it turns out, aren't artists at all - they are safety-seeking copycats. 
Seizing new ground, making connections between people or ideas, working without a map - these are works of art, and if you do them, you are an artist, regardless of whether you wear a smock,use a computer, or work with others all day long.
Speaking up when there's no obvious right answer, making yourself vulnerable when it's possible to put up shields, and caring about both the process and the outcome - these are works of art that our society embraces and the economy demands." 
                                                                  .............

So if ever you had the thought "I'm no Artist," maybe think again. 

Evan has been reading another one of Seth Godin's books called Tribes.  I'm planning on reading that one next. Some nights, after we get the kids tucked in, we'll sit in bed and read side by side. It's like we're an old married couple but I kind of love it.  :)

(I like to think we're more like the Huxtables from the old Cosby show) ~ Evan



                                                                       xoXox

No comments:

01 09 10